Monday, January 12, 2009

Rôti de Porc au Lait

I'm sitting here listening to Mozart in Egypt and thought that I would take the time to revisit my Christmas dish and write up the recipe for it.

While this dish is from my idol Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook, I don't think there is any special relationship between this recipe and him. I think it is just part of any classically trained chef's repertoire. Julia Child has a very similar recipe in her cookbook.

I'm a technique guy. This is probably why I enjoy target shooting more than I do deer hunting (that's not to say that I don't enjoy hunting). Or why at the gym I concentrate on trying to achieve perfect form rather than how much weight I can lift. It is coming out in my cooking and for the better. For years I would have shortcutted a recipe like this. Too often in the past, if a recipe called for browning the meat, I just made sure it was cooked. Now I actually BROWN the meat, not just turn it gray in the pan. It is a significant difference. I must not have been the only one because I heard a student reminded of the same point in my first quarter cooking class. So if you want to take your cooking to another level, remember a little detail like that.

This isn't a food magazine quality photo of the dish, but here is how my Rôti de Porc au Lait turned out:

2 comments:

Brook said...

So I am totally a day late and I am sure a dollar short. This looks interesting though I don't often do pork roasts. As a matter of fact I don't do much roasting at all as I think about it. Weird. Looks tasty though and I'll keep it in mind the next time we get the hankering for a big hunk of meat! Going to have chicken fried steak tonight with mashed potatoes and gravy and some kind of vegetable too. You know, roasting would cut down on cleanup of my messy stovetop, I should do one if for no other reason! Oh wait, searing always makes spatters-damn I thought too much. I hate it when that happens!

Huff Daddy said...

This might actually be the first true roast I have ever done. Or is it a true roast since it is cooked in a Ducth oven not the regular oven? I've never been a big fan of roasts since growing up we ate so much of it. But I was quite pleased with this attempt here.