Sunday, January 04, 2009

Sourdough Scones

I whipped some of these up today, at least that's what I am calling them. I was intrigued by a recipe in one of my favorite cook books, The Wooden Spoon Bread Book. I've had this cook book for ten, maybe fifteen years, great book. In the book it is called skillet bread and emulates a pioneer-era bread made in a cast iron skillet. To me it tasted like scones.

Maybe they tasted like scones because once again I screwed up and used baking powder instead of baking soda. Maybe, but I don't think so. The bread doesn't sit to double in size like a normal sourdough bread recipe which leads me to believe that the starter is added for flavor not for the yeast action.

Once again I used lard to make a bread recipe and I am beginning to lean away from using it. I can taste just a subtle hint of it in the bread and don't care for it. I think lard might be fine in stronger flavored foods or if you use jelly on your bread but I think bread is just too delicate. I'll have to try again but I think buttermilk might mask the flavor in biscuits. Frying in lard is another story. That usage I really like and have made excellent hash browns and potato pancakes.

Here is the recipe if you would like to try: Sourdough Scones.

2 comments:

Brook said...

You really need to get this soda/powder thing straightened out! I know I read about the difference once but honestly can't remember except that they aren't quite interchangeable. I do know that baking powder sometimes has a metallic taste. And I know I read about the use of aluminum in baking powder being bad for you but honestly i don't bake enough to worry about in the home. And thinking about it we don't consume that much packaged food that might have that in it. What a ramble. So anyway, your sourdough starter is still going strong? Keep me posted hah hah 'cause I am interested in switching to homemade sourdough bread.

Huff Daddy said...

I've got two loaves rising right now. I think I am hooked on sourdough toast. Not good.